Of one thing that I’m certain is the fact, that my husband likes a proper chocolate cake. After a little bit of trial and error I eventually developed this one which won his seal of approval.
100g/4oz dark chocolate (cocoa solids of 74% or more)
3 Large Eggs
175g/6oz Brown Sugar
175ml/6 fl oz Natural Yogurt (I use the yogurt I make, see for the secret of making your own yogurt but shop bought yogurt works really well too)
1) Pre-heat the oven temp Gas 5/190º
2) Prepare a 2 lb loaf tin or similar with baking parchment
3) Break the chocolate into small piece and melt by either using a bain-marie or by pulsing in a micro-wave until melted. Be careful not to let it burn or it will taste bitter.
4) Place the sugar and lightly beaten eggs together in a bowl and using an electric whisk, beat until it is creamy and a little thicker.
5) Stir in the yogurt and chocolate making certain that it is well combined
6) Fold in the flour gently, using a metal spoon.
7) Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 – 60 mins until well risen and the cake feels firm to the touch or when a skewer inserted comes away clean.
Well that’s the basic recipe, to ring the changes try adding glacé cherries, glacé chestnuts or chopped ginger. Your imagination is your only limit.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.